Friday, August 1, 2008

13th and 14th Generations Extensive

Thirteenth Generation

6144. Nicholas NOYES484 was born about 1496 in Littleton, Kimpton, Hampshire, England.484 (Probably Littleton) He lived in Cholderton, Wiltshire, England on 10 Jan 1523.484 He died about 1575 in Cholderton, Wiltshire, England.484 (Probably close to 1575 "a very old man" (Chaancery Proceedings Series II, C3/151/91).) Nicholas was listed at Cholderton in the subsidy rolls of 14 & 15 Henry VIII [1523-4], 10 Jan. 16 Henry VIII [1525], 8 Oct. 32 Henry VIII [1540], 12 Oct. 35 Henry VIII [1543], and 2 Elizabeth I [1559/60]. (Subsidy Rolls, E179/197/156; E179/197/184; E179/197/241; E179/197/275). In 1523/4 he was taxed 21 shillings on goods valued at £21. In 1527 in the Hundred of Ambrysbury "In the parishe of Chalderton [which at that time contained only 57 persons] first Nicholas Nowyse hath whett for the allowance for thye feyndyng of his houssold xvj quarters and to sell vj quarters .... in barley, besydes to sow xxx quarters and for the feynding of his houssold xx quarters and to sell xiiij quarters." (Wiltshire Notes & Queries, 2 (1896-1898): 68-69).

He is on the list of taxpayers for the benevolence of 1545 for Cholderton and was probably the Nicholas Noyes who was named overseer and witnessed the will of Cicilia Noyes of Shipton, widow, in 1546. ("Two Sixteenth Century Taxation Lists", G.D. Ramsay, ed. (Devizes, 1954) p.2. Consistory Court of Wincester, Unlisted Wills and Administrations, U. 129).

At the dissolution of the monastaries, the manor of Littleton passed from the Abbot of St. Peter's, Gloucester, to the Bishop of Gloucester, who soon released it to the King, who then granted it to Sir John St. John. Disputes with tenants ensued. ("The Victoria History of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight", William Page, ed. (London, 1911), p.374; for the St. Johns, see S.T. Bindoff, "The History of Parliment[:] The House of Commons 1509-1558, vol. 3" (London, 1982), pp. 254-255, and "Wiltshire Visitation Pedigrees 1623" (London, 1954), p.168) In 1552, Nicholas St. John claimed that he had purchased two ninth parts of a lease of the manor of Littleton, a property originally leased in 1516 by Nicholas Noyes' parents. The claimants actually came to blows when St. John and his servants came to mow the pasture and were met by the servants of Nicholas Noyes' brother. (REQ2/14/71)

John St. John, Esquire, apparently entered into the manor of Littleton by force after the elder Robert Noyes' death.

In an undated Chancery Proceeding between 1558 and 1579, son Robert Noyes stated that his father had owned a barn and some land in Cholderton and that Nicholas entered into the premises and for divers years solely and alone did enjoy the same until about four years since being a very old man did set and assign the premises amongst divers [other] things to be occupied by the defendant [Robert] and that Nicholas' son Thomas Noyes, yeoman, sold his portion of the interest in the property to Robert Noyes.

Nicholas' son Robert had land in Cholderton that was described in the Patent Roll of 1581/2 as "now or lately in the occupation of Nicholas Noyes or his assignes." Nicholas NOYES had the following children:

i. Thomas NOYES was born about 1517 in Cholderton, Wiltshire, England.423 (Probably at Cholderton) He died before 1579 in Cholderton, Wiltshire, England.423 Probably died before 1576 as he was not named in the subsidy list of that year.
3072 ii. Robert NOYES.
iii. Albon NOYES was born about 1521.423

6160. William KNIGHT died about 1569 in Romsey, Hampshire, England. He was born in Romsey, Hampshire, England. William KNIGHT and Elizabeth WILD were married.

6161. Elizabeth WILD was born about 1540 in Romsey, Hampshire, England. She died on 12 Feb 1570 in Romsey, Hampshire, England. William KNIGHT and Elizabeth WILD had the following children:

3080 i. William KNIGHT.

6168. Robert INGERSOLL was born. Robert INGERSOLL and Cecily GRANTE were married on 30 Oct 1562.353

6169. Cecily GRANTE was born. Robert INGERSOLL and Cecily GRANTE had the following children:

3084 i. George INGERSOLL.

6344. Peter COFFIN was born about 1580 in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.445,485 Brixton Parish. In 1614 he was church warden of St. Mary's Church in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.485 (Brixton Parish) He signed a will on 21 Dec 1627 in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.446,447 (Brixton Parish. Provides that his wife, Joan shall have possession of the land &c., during her life, and that then said property shall go to his son and heir, Tristram, "who is to be provided for according to his degree and calling;" and that his son John is to have certain property when he shall be twenty years of age. He speaks of his daughters, Joan, Deborah, Eunice and Mary, as being under twenty years of age. He refers to his tenement, called Silferhay, in Butlers, and to his brother Nicholas. He was father of the emigrant.) He died after 21 Dec 1627 in England.227,446,486 Will (proved) on 13 Mar 1628.446,447 Peter COFFIN and Joan THEMBER were married before 1608.227,447 Based on birth of second child

6345. Joan THEMBER447 was born about 1584 in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.447,486 Based on ae 77 years. Brixton Parish. She immigrated in 1642 to Salisbury, Essex, Massachusetts.447 She died on 30 May 1661 in Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts.227,447 Ae 77 years. In 1662, she came with her son Tristram and daughters Mary and Eunice to Salisbury, Mass; thence she went to Haverhill and Newbury and died in Nantucket or Boston in May 1661, aged 77 years. She was said to possess remarkable strength of character. On the occasion of her death, Rev. Mr. Wilson, according to an old record, preached a funeral sermon. Peter COFFIN and Joan THEMBER had the following children:

3172 i. Tristram COFFIN.
ii. John COFFIN was born after 1609 in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.447 Brixton Parish.
iii. Joan COFFIN was born in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.447 Brixton Parish. She died in England.447 Probably
iv. Deborah COFFIN was born in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.447 Brixton Parish. She died in England.445,447 Probably.
v. Eunice COFFIN immigrated in 1642 to Salisbury, Essex, Massachusetts.447 She was born in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.447 Brixton Parish. She died in New England.447
vi. Mary COFFIN immigrated in 1642 to Salisbury, Essex, Massachusetts.447 She was born in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.447 Brixton Parish.

6346. Robert STEVENS lived in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.227,361 Brixton Parish. Robert STEVENS had the following children:

3173 i. Dionis STEVENS.

6348. John GREENLEAF was born. John GREENLEAF and Margaret were married.238

6349. Margaret was born. John GREENLEAF and Margaret had the following children:

3174 i. Capt. Edmund GREENLEAF.

6350. Enoch MOORE487 was born before 19 Jan 1560/61 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 (Parish Records of St. Peter's, Maldon, Essex, England.) He was baptized on 19 Jan 1560/61 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 (Parish Records of St. Peter's, Maldon, Essex, England.) He was living in 1615 in , Haverhill, Suffolk, England.368 Enoch MOORE and Catherine [MOORE] were married on 23 Nov 1585 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 (Parish Records of All Saints, Maldon, Essex, England.)

6351. Catherine [MOORE] was buried on 11 Oct 1593 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 (Parish Records of All Saints, Maldon, Essex, England.) Enoch MOORE and Catherine [MOORE] had the following children:

3175 i. Sara(h) MOOR\MOORE.
ii. Samuel MOORE was born before 20 Apr 1591 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 He was baptized on 20 Apr 1591 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 Parish Records of All Saints, Maldon, Essex, England. He signed a will on 24 Dec 1615 in Much Totham, Essex, England.487 (The Will of Samuel More

In the name of God Amen the 24th day of December in the year of our Lord god 1615. I Samuell More late of Much Totham in the county of Essex husbandman being poor of body but of good and perfect remembrance (thanks be given unto allmighty god) Do make and ordayn my last will and testament in manner and forme following:

First I commend my soule into the hands of god my creator hoping through the...merits of Jesus Christ my Blessed savior that att the generall resurrection both body and soule shall be rejoined together and made perteker of his everlasting kingdom: I bequeath my body unto the earth from which it first came to be buried in decent Christian burial att the Discretion of my Executor.

Item I give to the poor of Much Birch at the time of my...6s.8d. to be payd at the discretion of the minister and brothers:

Item I give unto my sister Sara the wife of Edmund Grinleaf of Ipwich in the county of Suffolk a Bedsted [and] a flockbed one bolster two pillows.

Item I give unto her two children John and Enoch either of them 10£. of lawful english money...sayd summe my will is shall be paid by my executor to Edmond Grinleaf their father for their use and he enter bond unto my sayd executor for the true payment thereof and...from me when they shall come to the several ages of one and twenty years:

Item I give to Anna Hewster my Aunt 20s. to buy her a gold ring to be worn by her for my sake.

Item I give unto my father Enoch More of Haverill the like summe of 20s.:

Item I give unto Enoch more my brother and to my two sisters Merry and Judith to each of them 6s.8d.

All the residue of my goods and shattells unto him as well moveables and imoveables I give unto Francis More my brother whom I nominate and ordayn my sole Executor: And lastly I do...Nicholas More of Mauldon my Uncle to be supervisor unto this my will unto whom I give for his payment 20s.: In witness whereof I have hereto set my hand the Day and Year above written
Samuell More
His mark
In presence of
Robert Ham (?)
Edward-----(maybe Bailer or Kailer)
John Hewster
Arthur Gaywood (Bishop of London Commissory in Essex, Essex Record
Office, Chelmsford).


Source: New England Historical Genealogical Register 122:28-29 in the article "Sarah, First Wife Of Edmund Greenleaf (1588-1663)", by Mrs. Dorothy Greenleaf Boynton.) He died after 24 Dec 1615 in Ipswich, Suffolk, England.456 Will (proved) on 2 Feb 1616.487
iii. Enoch MOORE487 was born before 2 Sep 1592 in Maldon, Essex, England.456 He was baptized on 2 Sep 1592.456 Parish Records of All Saints, Maldon, Essex, England.
iv. Merry MOORE487 was born.
v. Judith MOORE487 was born.
vi. Francis MOORE Sr.487 was born before 2 Sep 1592 in Maldon, Essex, England.488 (All Saints Parish.) He was baptized on 2 Sep 1592 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 (All Saints Church.) He died on 20 Aug 1671 in Cambridge, Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts.368

6352. Henrie JAQUES was born about 1540 in Hullavinton, Wiltshire, England.379 He signed a will on 2 Jun 1601 in Hullavinton, Wiltshire, England.379 He died after 2 Jun 1601 in Hullavinton, Wiltshire, England.379 He was buried in , Wiltshire, England.379 Buried at the Archdeaconry. Henrie JAQUES and Maud were married before 1568.379 Based on birth of son, Robert.

6353. Maud was born in Hullavinton, Wiltshire, England.379 Henrie JAQUES and Maud had the following children:

i. Robert JAQUES was born about 1568 in Hullavinton, Wiltshire, England.379
ii. Thomas JAQUES was born about 1570 in Hullavinton, Wiltshire, England.379
iii. Ellenor JAQUES was born about 1572 in Hullavinton, Wiltshire, England.379
3176 iv. Richard JAQUES.
v. Peter JAQUES was born about 1576 in Hullavinton, Wiltshire, England.379

6356. is the same as person number 3080.

6357. is the same as person number 3081.

6392. ATKINSON259 was born. ATKINSON had the following children:

3196 i. Thomas ATKINSON.
ii. Theodore ATKINSON167 was born in 1612 in Bury, Lancastershire, England.489 He died in Aug 1701.489

6448. Richard DOLE490 was born about 1560 in Rangeworthy, Gloucester, England.490 (Thornbury Parish) He was buried on 29 May 1609 in Rangeworthy, Gloucester, England.490 Will (proved) on 12 Sep 1609.491 As "Richard Dole of Rengworthie, in the county of Glouc[ester], tann, being sicke and diseased in bodie," he left a will dated 9 April, [torn] year of King James and proved on 12 September 1609. He asked to be buried in the churchyard of "Rengworthie." He bequeathed a cow called Silke to his daughter Alce, as well as £6 13s. 4d. To his son Giles, he gave "one heyfer & two sheepe" six years after the testator's decease, as well as 33s. 4d. yearly for four score years, if Giles and testator's son William "doe so longe live together." He gave his wife Dorothie "my first lease ... to breede upp my Childre[n]," his best horse or mare, and all of his household goods. To his son William he gave his "[t]ann Fates, & tooles, all my barke, and my mill." He gave the residue to his wife Dorothy and to his son William, who were named as his executors. He also gae to his executors his house and ground in "Rengery" called Barnards House. The overseers were Robert Hobbs and John Hooper. Henry Hooper, weaver, was a witness. [Consistory Court of Gloucester, original wills, 1609 (FHL film #91,391)]. Served as a churchwarden in the year 1602. Richard DOLE and Dorothy were married.492

6449. Dorothy signed a will on 7 Mar 1639/40.493 (Dorothy Dole of [Rangeworthy], "in the P[a]rish of Thornebury". To son-in-law Robert Hobbs, she gave one great bolster and five bushels of wheat and one of peas, and to Robert's son Maurice, she bequeathed £8. To Robert's daughters Marie and Martha, she gace £6 apiece, along with all of her wearing apparel. To Thomas and Robert, sons of her grandson Maurice Hobbs, she gave one calf each. To the four sons of her son William Dole, she granted 5s. each, and to his four daughters she gave 20s. She gave a brass pan to William's daughter Joan. All of the rest of her goods were bequeathed to her son William, who was the executor. The overseers of the will were John Hobbs the elder and Samuel Pratte.) She was buried on 10 Sep 1640 in Rangeworthy, Gloucester, England.490 Will (proved) on 18 May 1642.491 Richard DOLE and Dorothy had the following children:

i. Giles DOLE was buried on 6 Feb 1620/21 in Rangeworthy, Gloucester, England.395 (as "Giles Doall".)
ii. Alice DOLE was buried on 20 Feb 1620/21 in Rangeworthy, Gloucester, England.395
3224 iii. William DOLE.

6452. John ROLFE was born about 1550 in Whiteparish, Wiltshire, England.477 He signed a will in 1624/25 in Whiteparish, Wiltshire, England.494 The Will of [John Rolfe of Whiteparis]h in the county of Wilts, yeoman, [ ]ary 1624/25. To the church of [Whiteparish] 6d., to be used toward the reparation of the church by the church wardens of Whiteparish. Concerning my right and interest in certain leases of which I now stand possessed, after my decease my son [ Rolp]he shall have that messuage or tenement and close adjoining, and that close called long [ ] adjoining to Bushy lease, and that close called breach meade, and a parcel [ ] sometimes parcel of bushy lease and lying upon the lane called Rumsey [ ] containing fourteen "lugge", all being in Whiteparish, and also four [? pieces of] arable land containing ten acres called Webb [? close] with a messuage which I hold of the right [ ] William Stockman of Bereford, county of Wilts, Esq., by virtue of a [? lease] dated 20 March 8 James I, to hold the said lease and premises until the full term of ninety nine years be ended, if myself, Henry Rolfe, my son, and John Rolfe the younger, my son, or any of us, live so long. Said closes of arable land and pasture containing ten acres sometime called Webb close, which I now hold of William Stockman by lease dated 10 January 8 James I for ninety nine years if my sons Henry and John or either of them live so long, I give to my son Henry for his life and after his death my will is that Honor Rolfe, wife to the said Henry my son, if she survive her husband, shall hold the said premises during the time she remain a widow, and when my daughter-in-law be married to any other husband or die, then my son John shall enjoy the residue of the time unexpired. My son John shall have the three acres of ground sometimes waste ground parcel of the Earldome lying between Langley wood and the round coppice, demised to me and my assigns by William Stockman Esq., during the term of the [th]ree years, as appears by indenture dated 20 March 8 James I. To John, my younger son, the new chest, my best coffer, my iron bound cart, and £3. To Joane, the eldest daughter, and Hester, the youngest daughter of my son John, a brass pan, pewter platter, a hive of bees and 20s. each. To Joane, my grandchild, daughter of William Holloway, a hive of bees and 20s. at [ ] twenty-one years my will is that [ ] son of John or the longer [ ] two kine and a mare which [ ] Item I give to my daughter [ ] coverlid and 26s. 8d. to [ ] ease. Item I give to Richard Whiteer [ ] of money which money my executor [ ]taine to the age of twenty & six yeares [ ]ty shillings. And further my will is that [ ] abovenamed shall have their twenty shillings apiece [ ] my decease: for which my above named grand [? children shall give my] executor an acquittance and he shall accept of [ ] sonne John a coverlid which lyeth in my press [ ] piece if they shall require it within one year after [ ] aged men and women of Whiteparish the sum of [ ] at the discretion of my executor and the minister. [ ] the rest of my goods and chattels unbequeathed, my [? debts and legacies paid and funeral expenses disch]arged, I give and bequeath to my son Henry Rolfe and [? make him my] sole executor; and I give to Mr. Parks, minister of Whiteparish, [ ] My neighbors John Coles of Mort farme and William Morris of Newton [ ]field to be my overseers, and to each of them I give 10s. [ ] to see my will faithfully performed. [Signed] John Rolfe his marke. [Witnesses' names torn off.]

Codicil dated 29 May 1625. I give to be delivered by my life time which is no part of [ ] nor touching my last will, as witnesses John [ Willi]am Morris. Mary my daughter shall have 13s. [ ] of the £17. I give to my son John 30 [ ] nn pounds. I give to Mary my daughter a little barrell , etc., [ ] a stall of bees for Thomas [Whittier, who came to New England in 1638, with his uncle John Rolf] her son, and unto Mary my daughter a gown. To Henry my son the silt and the powdering tub. To John my son my [ ]ake and the newest jerkin and hose. All the rest of my household stuff to be equally divided between Henry, my son and executor, and John, [? my you]ngest son. [Signed] the m'ke of John Rolfe the elder. Proved 8 October 1625, by the executor named. Inventory taken 6 October 1625, by John Coles, William Morris, and Thomas Rolfe, £113 1 s. 4d., exhibited by the executor 8 October 1625. (Archdeaconry of Sarum, 1625, Original Will and Inventory.) [Brackets indicate the places where the foregoing will is mutilated or illegible.] He died before 8 Oct 1625 in Whiteparish, Wiltshire, England.495 Will (proved) John Rolfe on 8 Oct 1625.495 John ROLFE and Honor [ROLFE] were married before 1579 in Whiteparish, Wiltshire, England.478

6453. Honor [ROLFE] was born in 1555 in Whiteparish, Wiltshire, England.492 She was buried on 8 Jul 1619 in Whiteparish, Wiltshire, England.478 John ROLFE and Honor [ROLFE] had the following children:

i. Joane ROLFE was born before 15 Sep 1579.477,478 She was baptized on 15 Sep 1579.478
ii. Mary ROLFE was born before 16 Jul 1582 in Whiteparish, Wiltshire, England.477,478 She was baptized on 16 Jul 1582.478 She died in Whiteparish, Wiltshire, England.478
3226 iii. Henry ROLFE.
iv. John ROLFE477 was baptized on 24 Apr 1589 in Whiteparish, Wiltshire, England.478,479 He was born in 1589 in Whiteparish, Wiltshire, England.477 He emigrated on 11 Apr 1638 from England.478 He signed a will on 4 Feb 1664.478,496 (This 4th [3d (the day of the month was changed in the original instrument)] of februrie 1663
I John Roffe of Newbry being often sickly am willing while my memorie is good to dispose of my outward Estat no knowing how soon I may be desolved and leve this world. Therefore I do ordain and make my last will and Testament as followeth
first I Comit my soule to god and my body to the Erth to be buried
2dly I give and bequeath my house and all my land I have in salsbery with all the priviledges and apurtenances be longing ther vnto in said salsbery unto my daughterr Hestur Sanders the wife of John Sanders during his life and thirtie pounds more and after his decease to Remain vnto hir Children of hir body by Equall portions
Itm I give and bequeth vnto sarah Cottell the wife of willm Cottl besid twenti pounds I formerly gave hir I give hir twenti pounds more and vnto hir two Children sarah Cottl and Ann Cotle tenn pounds a peece to be Improved by willm Cottl for ther benifit
Itm I giue vnto my Grand Children Isac Ring and Josep Ring tenn pounds a peece and vnto Elizabeth shropshere and hester Ring twentie pounds a peece
Itm I giue vnto Thomas whittyre for his Children ten pounds
Itm I giue vnto the Church of newbre twenti shilings
Itm I giue vnto Richard whittyr my sisters sonn tenn pounds and vnto his sonn John whityr five pounds
Itm I giue vnto John Rofe my brothrs sonn tenn pounds and vnto his two daughtrs marie and Rebeca Rofe five pounds to be Improved for ther benifit
Itm I give vnto benjamn Rofs sonn John Roffe tenn pounds and his sonn benjimin Roffe five pounds to be Improved for ther benifit
Itm I give vnto Ann Gardner the wife of Richard gardner five pounds
Item I give vnto honore dole the wife of Richard dole my **
Item I giue vnto Richard dols six Children fortie shillings and ..**
Item I giue vnto heneri lesenby Richard dols servant ten shillings
Item I giue vnto mari Kinrick tenn shillings and a plater of pewter
Likwis I do ordain and apoint my louing Kindsman Richard dole to be my Executur discharg and pay all the former ligacies and debts and Charg that may a Rise for my funerall or otherwise
and I defir my three frends Henri short willm moody and Richard Knight to be my ouer seers to see this my will is that all the legacies should be paid within a yere and a half after my decease
signed & seled in the presents of
Richard Knight the mark
Cornelius Connor of John R Roffe (SEAL)
Hen : Short
the mark of W-M william moodye) He died on 8 Feb 1664 in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts.478 Will (proved) on 29 Mar 1664 in Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts.496 He was husbandman.478 Emigrant to N.E.

6454. Richard ROLFE was born about 1567 in Downtone, Wiltshire, England.477 Hamptworthe. He signed a will in 1598 in Downtone, Wiltshire, England.497 The Will of Richard Rolff of Hamptorethe [Hamptworth] in the parish of Downtone, 30 [ ] 1598. My body to be buried in the churchyard of Downtone. To our lady church of Sarome 6d. To the church of Downtone 6d. To the church of Lanvard [Landford] 6d. To Mary Moody a bullock [ ] of age. To my brothers-in-law Henry Rofe, Thomas Rofe [ ] two sheep. To my brother-in-law William [ ] and to his daughter Alse one sheep. To Jone Dirks and Agnes Leache one sheep each. To my sister's son William Hore one sheep. To John [ ] a jerkin and breeches. To my brother William Sanderes [ ] sheep. To my wife Agnes Rofe and my daughter Honner and my daughter [Agn]es all the rest of my goods and chattels, and I make them my executres. If my wife do marry, my children to have their portions within one week thereafter, and if she do not, then at their ages of sixteen years. If my wife be with child, such child to have a portion with the rest of my children. My debts that I owe: to my father-in-law 20s., to my brother [in-law] Thomas Rofe £3, to my brother [in-law] John Rofe 20s., to Agnes Leache 20s., to my "onkele" [probably the uncle of Agnes Rolfe, wife of the testator] John Rofe 10s. I give to my father-in-law William Sanders, Thomas Light, and my uncle John Rofe 3s. 4 d. each, and make them overseers. Witnesses: Roger Elkins, John Rofe, John Coxe, and others. Proved 2 December 1598, by Agnes Rolfe, relict of the deceased, with power reserved for Honore and Agnes Rolfe, daughters and executrices named.

Bond dated 14 June 1606. John Ryce of Hamptworth in the parish of Downton, County Wilts, husbandman, Agnes Ryce his wife, before marriage Agnes Rolfe, executrix of the will of Richard Rolf her first husband, Michael Cooper of East Grimstead in County Wilts, husbandman, and Robert Emmery of Lanford, co. Wilts, husbandman, bound in the sum of £80. Agnes Rice als Rolff and Honor Rolff and Agnes Rolff her two daughters were appointed joint executors of the will of Richard Rolff annd had bequeathed to them certain legacies. The said Agnes filed an account 9 June 1599, the portions of Honor and Agnes being found to be £19 5s. each, and the said John and Agnes Rice als Rolff bind themselves to pay the said sums to the said Honor and Agnes, their guardians or assigns at their several ages of sixteen and to bear the expenses of their education and bringing up until such age. [Signed] John Ryse, Signu' Agnes Ryce, Signu' Michis Cooper, Signu' Robte Emery. Witnesses: Greene and Gyles Batter. (Archdeaconry of Sarum, 1598, Original Will and Bond.) Richard ROLFE and Agnes ROLFE were married before 1593.477 Based on birth of dau., Honor.

6455. Agnes ROLFE was born about 1573.477 Richard ROLFE and Agnes ROLFE had the following children:

3227 i. Honor ROLFE.
ii. Agnes ROLFE was born about 1596.477



Fourteenth Generation

12288. Robert NOYES498 was born about 1467 in Littleton, Kimpton, Hampshire, England.498,499 (Probably Littleton. NEHGR, Vol. 149 says ca. 1465.) He died before 4 Apr 1524 in Littleton, Kimpton, Hampshire, England.498 In 1516, Robert Noyes leased the manor of Littleton, Hampshire, from the Abbot of the Monastery of Saint Peter's of Gloucester. (C1/861/87-91) After his death, his widow made a new lease and enjoyed it nine years before her own death. The complicated suit brought by Nicholas St. John in the Court of Requests, over possession of two-ninths of this manor, resulted in the recording of depositions about four generations of Robert's family. (Court of Requests, REQ2/14/71) Robert Noyes left a will, naming his son William as his executor, but this document does not survive. (Lists and Indexes, No. 50, "List of Early Chancery Proceedings", vol.7 (London, 1926), p.186) Joan Noyes left the earliest Noyes will on record. Buried outside the door of the church of Blessed Mary of Kimpton next to wife Joan. Robert NOYES and Joan MONDEY were married about 1488.498

12289. Joan MONDEY signed a will on 15 Oct 1532.498,499 Joan Noyes left the earliest Noyes will on record, abstracted below from the Latin original probated in the Consistory Court of Winchester:
"Joan Noyes of Littleton in the parish of Kimpton, Winton diocese, written 15 October 1532; to be buried outside the door of the church of Blessed Mary of Kimpton next to husband Robert Noyes; to the mother church of Winchester, 12d; to the light of the Holy Cross in the church of Kimpton 2 ewes; to the daughters of Robert Noyes her son 280 sheep; to John Noyes, son of Robert Noyes, 100 sheep and a vessel called a mazer with two silver spoons; to Cecily, daughter of the same Robert, 1 silver spoon; to John Noyes the second best bed with appurtenances; to every daughter of Robert her son, a cow; to John Noyes, their brother, another cow and 6 horses; to every godson and goddaughter 4d; to Anne Noyes, daughter of the said Robert, her best prayer book; to Joan Noyes, Anne's sister, the second best prayer books and the second best silver girdle; to the said Anne her best silver girdle; to the church of Fyfield 3 ewes; to the church of Cholderton a quarter of corn; I affirm I have surrendered to the Abbott of St. Peter's Gloucester title to the farm of the manor of Lytleton held by indenture from the Abbott and Convent by myself and Robert Noyes, William, John, Nicholas Noyes my sons, and Thomas Noys, kinsman, with the intention that the said William, John and Nicholas, my sons, be altogether freed, and thereupon I took from the Abbott and Convent to myself, Robert, my son, Emma his wife and other of their sons and daughters, new leases which I confirm; to Sir Henry Brassart, rector of Fyfield 12d; to Sir John Arthur, vicar of Howsborne Priors 6s 8d; to the curate of Kimpton at the time of my death 12d; supervisors to be William Mondey her brother, and Robert Bosell, and to each of them 6s 8d; residue to Robert Noyes, executor. Witnesses, Sir John Arthur, Sir Arthur Nicholasson, curate of Kimpton, Sir Bernard Darbey, chaplin, William Walter, notary public of London Diocese." She died after 15 Oct 1532 in Littleton, Kimpton, Hampshire, England.498,499 Robert NOYES and Joan MONDEY had the following children:

i. Robert NOYES was born about 1490 in Littleton, Kimpton, Hampshire, England.500 (Probably Littleton)
ii. William NOYES500 was born about 1492 in Littleton, Kimpton, Hampshire, England.500 (Probably) He died before 1546.500 Living 8 Nov. 1534 when he was a plaintiff in a Chancery Proceeding (C1/861/87-91). William was the founder of the extensive Shipton branch of the Noyes family.
iii. John NOYES was born about 1494 in Littleton, Kimpton, Hampshire, England.484 (Probably) He signed a will on 1 May 1538.499 He died before 21 Jun 1538 in Shipton Bellinger, England.499 Will (proved) on 21 Jun 1538.499
6144 iv. Nicholas NOYES.

12320. John KNIGHT died in 1560 in Romsey, Hampshire, England. John KNIGHT had the following children:

6160 i. William KNIGHT.

12688. Nicholas COFFIN was born about 1560 in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.227 Brixton Parish. He signed a will on 13 Sep 1613.447 (He mentions his wife, Joan; sons Peter, Tristram, Nicholas, and John; daughter Anne; and Joan, a daughter of one of his sons. He was grandfather to the emigrant to New England.) He died after 13 Sep 1613 in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.227,447 (Brixton Parish.) Will (proved) on 3 Nov 1613.447 Nicholas COFFIN and Joanna [COFFIN] were married about 1580.447

12689. Joanna [COFFIN]447 was born. Mentioned in her husband's will. Nicholas COFFIN and Joanna [COFFIN] had the following children:

6344 i. Peter COFFIN.
ii. Tristram COFFIN447 was born. Mentioned in his father's will.
iii. Nicholas COFFIN447 was born. Mentioned in his father's will annd appointed executor in his grandfather, Tristram's will.
iv. John COFFIN447 signed a will on 4 Jan 1628 in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.447 Brixton Parish. Appoints his nephew Tristram executor, and gives legacies to Joan, Deborah, Eunice, Mary, and John all under twelve years of age. He died after 4 Jan 1628 in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.447 Brixton Parish. Will (proved) on 3 Apr 1628.447 Mentioned in his father's will.
v. Anne COFFIN447 was born. Mentioned in her father's will.
vi. Joan COFFIN447 was born. Mentioned in her grandfather Tristram's will.

12690. Robert THEMBER was born. Robert THEMBER and Anna [THEMBER] were married.485

12691. Anna [THEMBER] was born. Robert THEMBER and Anna [THEMBER] had the following children:

6345 i. Joan THEMBER.

12700. Nicholas MOORE Sr.456 signed a will on 18 Aug 1590 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 (The Will of Nicholas Moore Sr.

In the name of god amen Anno 1590 the 18th daye of August in the
32nd yere of the Reigne of Soverigne Lady Elizabeth by the grace of
god of England France and Ireland Queene Defender of the Faith I
Nicholas Moore of Maldon in the County of Essex and...diocesse Sick of
body but of sound and perfect memory god be thanked doe ordayne and
make this my...last will and testament in manner and forme folowinge
First I bequeath my soule into the hands of almight god my creator
and Redeemer and my body to the earth in sure hope of Resurrection
with the Just through my Lord and Savior Christ Jesus
Item I give and bequeath unto Willamin my wife my notage [?] or
tenament situated in Maldon aforesaid in the street called fulbridge
street now in the tenure and occupation of Thomas Moore my son and
his assignes, to have and to hold the same to her and her heirs forever
Item I give and bequeath unto her my said wife my lease and tenure of
...that I have in the house that I now dwell in To have and to hold the
same unto her and her assignes payinge the rent and discharging the
covenante in the same lease specified.
Lastly I give and bequeath unto the said Willamin my wife all and
singular my other moveables good debts Stock of leather...Tallow oile
and all other my chattles and Implements of household in hand I make
and ordain my sole executrix revokinge all...wills whatsoever In
witness whereof I have to this...set my hand and seale the Daye and
Year above written
Signum hefi [i.e. the mark of]
Nicholas Moore
In the...of Enoch Moore
Nicholas Moore the Younger Et
mei Samueila Moore Script


This will of Nicholas Moore Sr. was written by his son Samuel as
clerk, 18 Aug 1590, and was proved in Chelmsford, 22 Oct 1594, by
Samuel as attorney for his mother Willamin. Enoch Moore and Nicholas
Moore the Younger served as witnesses.


Source: New England Historical Genealogical Register in the article
"Sara, First Wife of Edmund Greenleaf (1588-1663)" by Dorothy Greenleaf
Boynton. [NEHGR 122:28-36]) He was buried on 8 Oct 1594 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 (Parish Records of All Saints, Maldon, Essex, England.) Will (proved) Nicholas Moore on 22 Oct 1594 in Chelmsford, Essex, England.368 The family of Nicholas Moore Sr. and his wife Willamin are in St. Peters Parish at the time of their son Enoch's baptism, 19 Jan 1560/61, but we find them living in All Saints Parish by the time of the baptism of Nicholas the Younger, as of 17 Sept 1570. All of the family records, after the baptism of Enoch, are therefore in All Saints Parish, Maldon. Nicholas MOORE Sr. and Willamina were married before 1560.487 Based on bp. son, Enoch.

12701. Willamina signed a will on 30 Aug 1603.368 (The Will of Willamin Moore


In the name of god Amen the thirtieth daye of August in the year of our Lorde James by the grace of god now kinge of Englande I willamin Moore of the parish of all Saints in maldon in the county of Essex Wyddow being now very weaken bodye by reason of my great age and years whereby I am put in remembrance that my time and end approacheth and cometh on a pace, do therefore make publishe and declare this my last will and testament in writing in manner and forme following: First I commend my Soule into the hands of almighty god the Father the sonne and the holy ghost assuredly believing that all my Sinnes of gods great mercy in Jesus christ are doomed and done away And my bodie I comytt to christian buryall at the discretion of the executor of this my last will and testament here under named

Item I will and give unto my sonne nicholas Moore my tenement with the appertances situated and being in or near agenst Fulbridge street in the parish of Saint Peter in maldon aforesaid now in the tenure and occupation of [?] hybberd wyddow or her assigns to have and hold the said tenement with appertances unto the said nicholas his heirs and assigns forever.

Item I give and bequeath unto the said nicholas a hall bedstead standing in the chamber over the hall of the messauge in which I now dwell and a downe bed now being thereon and other the bedding and furniture thereunto belonging in all things fully furnished and a ...chest in the same chamber with all the linen in the same chest And it is in my minde and will that if in future the said nicholas (after my death) to marrye or to settle and occupe (by himself) the trade of a shoemaker that then the executor of this my testament shall immediately thereupon pay and deliver to him the said nicholas (as my gift) 10£ of lawful money of england.

Item I give and bequeath unto Sara Moore the daughter of my sonne Enoch Moore 5£ of lawful english money to be payd her by my executor at her age of 21 years or day of marriage which shall first happen

Then I will and give to be paid by my executor uppon my buryall unto my sonnes Samuel Enoch and Thomas Moore and to my daughters Anne and Phillip to everyone of the same my children (in token of a friendly remembrance) 5s. a piece and no more for that my said daughters and ye one of my said sonnes last named have had already their full portions

All the rest of my goods moveable household stuff and implements of household and whatsoever ellse I have or may dispose of that is testamentary I give fully and wholly unto Edward Moore my Sonne whome I do make constitute and ordain sole and only executor of this my last will and testament and him do appoint and require to pay my funerall and debts and the legacies of this my testament In witness whereof I have hereunto put my Seale subscribed my name the day and year first above written
the mark of
Willamin Moore widdow
In the prive of George Purcas [?]
Thomas Chesse the writer hereof


Note: Willamin's will was executed 30 Aug 1603 and proved in 1606.

Source: New England Historical Genealogical Register in the article "Sara, First Wife of Edmund Greenleaf (1588-1663)" by Dorothy Greenleaf Boynton [NEHGR 122:28-36].)
She was buried on 20 Jul 1606 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 (Parish Records of All Saints, Maldon, Essex, England.) Will (proved) Willamin Moore after 20 Jul 1606.368 Nicholas MOORE Sr. and Willamina had the following children:

6350 i. Enoch MOORE.
ii. Nicholas MOORE Jr.487 was born before 17 Sep 1570 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 He was baptized on 17 Sep 1570 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 (Parish Records of All Saints, Maldon, Essex, England.) He signed a will on 21 Apr 1646.368 (Property went to his widow Margaret except for a silver wine bowl as he said his son, Edward, had had his share already though likely as an only child he would in the end get the rest just as he got the Bradwell juxta Mare property after his Aunt Elizabeth's death as his Uncle Edward had directed.) He was buried on 30 May 1646 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 Parish Records of All Saints, Maldon, Essex, England. Will (proved) on 23 Jun 1646.368
iii. Edward MOORE368 signed a will on 30 Apr 1617.368 (The Will of Edward Moore


In the name of god amen the Thirtieth day of April in the yere of our Lord one Thousand Six hundred and seventeen and in the fifteenth yere of the reigne of our Soveringne Lord James by the grace of god now king of England I Edward Moore of the parish of All Saints in maldon in the county of Essex shoomaker being weeke in body yet of sound and perfect memory (thanks be god) knowing that all men are subject to mortality do therefore make publize and declare this my last will and testament in writing in manner and form folowing

First and principally I commend my Soule into the hands of almighty god (that blessed trinity) the father the sonne and the holy ghost assuredly believing by faith in my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ of god's great mercy in him that all my synnes are freely forgiven and that eternal life in the heavens is reserved for me after the end of this mortall life. And my body I comytt to christian Buryall at the discretion and appointment of Elizabeth my well beloved wife and of the executor of this my last will and testament hereinafter named.

And as touching my Lands and possessions and other things of this life my minde and will is there of as followeth:

First I give unto the sayd Elizabeth my wife all the movable goods household stuff and Implements of household and bedding which she had before my intermarraige with her. (Excepting the linen brass and pewter which I had with her)

Item I give to the sayd Elizabeth my wife all the wearing apparell linen and rayment and also a featherbed a feather bowlster a great joined chest...with a drawer which now standeth in the chamber over the Buttery

And I give unto the said Elizabeth one half of all the linen brass and pewter whatsoever whereof I am now possessed Excepting only the brass pannies now used for my trade for stuffing [?] or currying of Leather to be indifferently divided and set out unto her by my brother Thomas Moore and my Brother-in-law John Hewster or the survivor of them with all convenient speede next after my death and also I give unto the said Elizabeth 5£ of lawful money of England to be payd unto her by my said Executor within one month next after my death

Item I give unto the said Elizabeth one of my two drawing tables (to be taken at her choice) my settall in the hall and two reasonable loads of wood

Item my minde and will is that the said Elizabeth my wife shall have and enjoy for and during the time of her naturall life if she so longe for time to life solo and unmarryed and not other wife the use and occupation of the great chamber over the shopp of my now dwelling house with convenient room and place in my yarde or backside for laying and bestowing of her wood and also a piece of my garden (of twenty feet square) and also the joint or common use and benefitt (with the tenent or dweller in my dwelling house for the time being) of one chamber therein called the storyers chamber hanging and drying of the linen with free accesse ingresse egresse and regresse by and through my said dwelling house unto and from the said chamber's yard and garden and any of them at all times and from time to time without any lett or molestation whatsoever.

Item I give and will to be payd unto the sayd Elizabeth by my said executor or his assignes after my death yearly every year during the time of her natural life (at the messauge in which I dwell one early sume of 5£ of lawful money of England at the four usual feasts and times of payment in the year by equal portyons for and in full compensation and satisfaction of the estate jointure dower or things which to her shall or may arrive or grow after my death of in and to or out of my lands and tenaments whatsoever either freeholds or copyholds which I am now seized or shall be seized at my death or an estate of inheritance (the first payment thereof to begin and to be made at first one of the said feasts which shall first happen and come next after my death)

Item I will and do devise and give unto my Brother Nicholas Moore his heirs and assigns forever those two tenements (customary or copyhold to the manor of Bradwell juxta [?] Mare in the said county of Essex) whereof one is called Reeves containing by estimation ten acres of land and that which is called feldmans containing by estimation eight acres of land with their appertances and all my estate reversion [?] and remaynder of and in the said tenements and lands after the death of the said Elizabeth my wife

Item I devise will and give unto my sayd Brother Nicholas Moore his heir and assignes forever the said messauge (in which I dwell) situated and being in the said parish of All Saints in maldon aforesaid with the edifice [?] buildings yards backsides gardens and orchards ways and easments to the sayd messauge belonging or now used and other appertances.

Item I will and do give unto the said Nicholas Moore my Brother one meassauge and six acres of land with the appertances called Myllers late in the tenure and occupation of Robert Sooke in the said county of Essex to have and to hold to the sayd Nicholas Moore his heirs and assignes forever according to the custom of the said manor

Item I give and bequeath unto Francis Moore the sonne of my Brother Enoche Moore 10£ of lawful english money to be payed to him by my sayd Executor within one yere next after my decease (over and besides the 10£ which I am to pay him for and out of the rent and profitts of a certain shop situated in the sayd parish of all Saints near unto the fish stalls)

Item I give unto Nicholas Moore and Phillip Moore the sonne and daughter of my Brother Thomas Moore to either of them 10£ a piece of like money to be payd within one year next after my decease by my said Executor

And I give unto my said Brothers Enoch and Thomas Moore to either of them 10s. a piece and to my Sister Phillip 5s. of lawful english money as a small remembrance of my Love and goodwill to them

Item I give to the poor of All Saints parish in maldon aforsaid 6s.8d. to be payd to the overseers of the said poore within three months next after my death

All the rest of my goods chattles movables household stuff and implements of household wares shop stuff ready money and debts and whatsoever ellse I have or may dispose that is testamentary I do give fully and wholly unto the said Nicholas Moore my brother which said Nicholas I do make and constitute sole and only Executor of this my last will and testament and I require and charge him duly and truly to pay my funerall charges and debts and the legacies and portions of money by this testament bequeathed provided always and nevertheless my minde and full meaning and will is that if at the time of my decease there shall be a surrender in force to the use of my will of and concerning my said coppyhold lands and tenements holden of the manor of Walton aforsaid that then the said Nicholas Moore my Brother after my decease and before probate of this my testament shall become bounden by Deede obligatory sufficient in the...unto the said Elizabeth my wife in the Some of 30£ of lawful money of England with condition theron for the sure payment of the said yearly Some of 5£ by the year to the said Elizabeth yearly during her life in the manner and order and according to the effect and purpose afore declared in this my will; But if no sure Surrender shall from time to be at my death of the said copyhold lands and tenements last mentioned for the use of my will that then the said gift of 5£ a year to my wife yearly during her life shall be voided and of no effect (any thinge afore in this my will confirmed to the contrary in any wise not withstanding). In witness whereof I the said Edward Moore to this my last will and testament have put my seale and subscribed my name the day and year first above written in the presence of the persons herein-under named Joseph Walker John Dandy and Thomas Chese [? Chase, one of Enoch's daughters married the apothecary Thomas Chese of Boston] Edward Moore


Note: This will of Edward Moore was executed 30 Apr 1617 and was proved approximately a month after he was buried on 10 Dec 1619.) He was buried on 6 Nov 1619 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 (Parish Records of All Saints, Maldon, Essex, England.) Will (proved) on 10 Dec 1619.368
iv. Thomas MOORE368 was buried on 19 Sep 1624 in Maldon, Essex, England.368 Parish Records of All Saints, Maldon, Essex, England.
v. Samuel MORE368 was born.
vi. Phillip MOORE368 was born. Mentioned in the will of her brother Edward.
vii. Anna MOORE368 was born.

12899. Dorothy BARNARD490 signed a will on 3 Jan 1610/11.491 "Dorothie Barnardd of Rangery in the Countie of Glouc[ester], widow," made her will. To Agnes, daughter of Thomas Lideatt, she gave "my peticoate which I weare every holy daye." The residue of her wearing apparel she gave to her daughter Dorothie Dole. All of her remaining goods she gave to Giles Dole, whom she named as executor. Witnesses to her will were Robert Hoop[er], parson of [Iron] Acton, and Maurice Lenny. Will (proved) on 20 Aug 1614.491 Dorothy BARNARD had the following children:

6449 i. Dorothy.

12904. Henry ROLFE was born about 1515 in Hamptworth, Wiltshire, England.477,492 Henry ROLFE and Agnes BUTLER were married before 1545 in England.492

12905. Agnes BUTLER was born. Henry ROLFE and Agnes BUTLER had the following children:

i. ROLFE was born about 1545.477
6452 ii. John ROLFE.

12908. Richard ROLFE477 was born about 1545.477 Will administered 1567. Richard ROLFE and Elizabeth were married.477

12909. Elizabeth was born. Richard ROLFE and Elizabeth had the following children:

6454 i. Richard ROLFE.

12910. ROLFE was born about 1545.477 ROLFE and Alice were married before 1573.477 Based on birth of dau., Agnes.

12911. Alice signed a will on 8 Dec 1604 in Downtone, Wiltshire, England.501 The Will of Alis Rolfe of Hamptworthe in the parish of Downtone in the county of Wilts, widow, 8 December 1604. My body to be buried in the parish churchyard of Downtone. I give to the parish church of Downtone 6d. To our lady church of Sarum 4d. To my son Thomas Rolfe a coverlet and other household goods. To my son John Rolfe my best heifer, three bushels of grain, and I forgive him 9s. which he oweth me. To his daughter Alis Rolfe, a bullock, and to his son, John Rolfe a sheep, and to his wife a gown. To my daughter Agnes Rice two ewes and a heifer, and to her daughter Honore Rolfe a heifer and a coffer, and to them both all my wearing apparel. To her daughter Agnes Rolfe a ewe, to her daughter Alis Rice a bullock, and to her daughter Marie Rice a ewe. To my maid servant Margaret Dyer a sheep. The residue of my goods and chattels I give to my sons Henrie Rolfe and Thomas Rolfe equally divided, and make them my executors. My well beloved friends Thomas Cousins and Robert Emmerie to be assistants to my executors, and to them 5s. each. Debts I owe: to my son Henrie Rolfe 40s. and to my son Thomas Rolfe £6 7s. Proved 26 January 1604/05, by the executors named. Inventory taken 8 December 1604, by two "nabours indifferent dealers herin Roger Webbe and John Raafe," £45 6s. 8d., exhibited 26 January 1604/05, by the executors. (Archdeaconry of Sarum, 1604, Original Will and Inventory.) She died before 26 Jan 1605 in Downtone, Wiltshire, England.501 Hamptworthe. Will (proved) on 26 Jan 1605.501 ROLFE and Alice had the following children:

6455 i. Agnes ROLFE.
ii. John ROLFE477 was born. Had issue.
iii. Henry ROLFE477 was born. Adm. 1617.
iv. Thomas ROLFE signed a will in 1629.477

No comments: